We're combing two great traditions of long distance running - The Marathon and the Ekiden Relay - with modern day technology - the Virtual Baton App, to bring you The M2M Ekiden.
THE STORY BEHIND THE EVENT
We love the marathon, heck it’s part of our name. And we love team work; working together to better ourselves is part of the very fabric of M2M.
We’re inspired by many of the ultra-distance virtual and DIY relays we’ve seen during the pandemic. But, we’re reigning it in a bit, and focusing on a distance that we love and admire, the traditional 42.195km, the grand daddy, the distance from Marathon to Athens.
Combine that with another great tradition of distance running, the Ekiden. A multistage relay race, held mostly on roads. It’s origins are rooted in Japan and their amazing running culture features some of the most captivating long-distance running events in the world and they all use the Ekiden format.
The Virtual Baton App allows runners from coast to coast, heck from all corners of the globe the chance to come together to form an Ekiden Relay team and go out and see how they stack up against the competition and the fabled 42.195km.
- Saturday, September 26th, 2020
- 7:30AM Pacific/10:30AM Eastern/4:30PM Central European Time Start Time
- Marathon Distance (42.195km)
- Ekiden Format Relay
- Teams of 4 runners*
- 10.55km each runner*
- Using the Virtual Baton App to hand off the sash (it’s an Ekiden thing!)
- $40 entry fee per team
The M2M EkidenRegister Your Team Now
THE AWARDS & PRIZES
We won’t be handing out any medals for your accolades, but you can bet we’ll be honouring our participants in our own way. In true M2M style awards will cover a variety of competitive and fun categories including:
- The ‘Crown’ brought to you by Saucony Canada – awarded to the Top male team, Top female Team, and Top mixed team (2 male + 2 female). Members of each winning team will receive a free pair of Saucony shoes (some restrictions apply)
- The Globe Trotters brought to you by Maurten – the team with the most (geographical) distance between it’s 4 runners.
- The ‘Lantern Rouge’ brought to you by M2M – a well known prize from the Tour de France, the ‘Lantern Rouge’ is awarded to the final finisher in each event. Winning teams will receive discounted coaching services from M2M.
- The ‘Tony Tomsich’ brought to you by Stanley Park Brewery – awarded to the team with the best Strava drawing while completing the event. Winning teams will receive beer.
- The ‘Median’ – awarded to the team finishing in the exact middle position in each event (or the first of the two middle positions in events with an even number of finishers)
- The AG brought to you by Solefit – awarded to 1 female and 1 male participant with the fastest age-graded 10.55km relay leg.
- The DW ‘brought to you by DW – awarded to any team that runs faster than 2:10:47* (*all team members must wear Mizuno Wave Ronin 4 racing flats). Teams will be awarded $1000.
- The Crew/Club/Collective/Group Challenge
- The ‘Crown’ brought to you by lululemon – we’ll take the cumulative time of your crew/club/collective/group top Male, Female and mixed teams and see how it stacks up against your rivals. Winning teams will receive some sweet swag from lululemon.
- The Participaction brought to you by all our sponsors – we’ll give points for the “top” 5’ teams in each of our regular awards categories above. 10pts for 1st, 8 pts for 2nd, 6 points for 3rd, 4 points for 4th and 2 points for 5th. We’ll tally all them up and the Crew/Club/Collective/Group with the most total points wins! They’ll take home the M2M Ekiden commemorative trophy & sash, and a prize pack of goodies from all our event sponsors.
More details coming soon…
HOW VIRTUAL BATON APP WORKS
Assemble Your Crew Put together a team of runners. Use the Virtual Baton app to manage your team, and set the order you’ll run in. When the race begins the first runner will get a notification telling them it’s time to run!
Get to Work Run the prescribed distance for your leg of the Ekiden. Upload your run to Strava, and use the Virtual Baton app to pass a virtual baton (or sash!) to the next runner on your team. They get a notification telling them that it’s time to get to werk!
Working with Strava’s Quirks Sometimes the distance Strava credits you for isn’t the same as the distance displayed on your watch. Since we’re aiming to hit a set distance here, we’re going to suggest everyone run ~1% long.
MORE ABOUT HOW REGISTRATION WORKS, RACE RULES, VIRTUAL BATON APP AND SOME FAQs
THE M2M EKIDEN: DETAILSAll the Nitty Gritty Here
Kipchoge eclipsed 2, what can you, and 3 of your friends do?— -Anonymous