Lisa Harvey, is a competitor who just loves to run. She started in high school, and later ran varsity for the University of Calgary Dinosaurs in Calgary, Alberta. Lisa represented Canada in the 1992 Barcelona Olympic Games and is a three-time IAAF World Track and Field Championships competitor. She also competed eight times for Canada at the IAAF World Cross Country Championships and ran for Canada in the World Half Marathon Championships and Pan-American Games winning a silver medal in the 10,000-metre event. Lisa has enjoyed a long and versatile career and recently, has enjoyed encouraging her son and daughter as they chase their dreams in competitive swimming.
- 1992 Olympian – Barcelona, Spain - 10,000m
- 3X World Outdoor Track Champs and 8X World Cross Champs
- Silver Medallist at ’91 Pan Am Games - 10,000m
- Multiple time Canadian medalist at distances from 3,000m on the track to Cross-Country
- Top 3 Open and Master at numerous North American Road Races - 5k to Marathon
- 3k: 9:04Canadian Track Nationals, 1991
- 5k: 15:51Victoria Track Classic), 2001
- 10k: 32:40Harry Jerome Track Classic, 1993
- 1/2 Marathon: 1:14Vancouver Scotia Bank Half, 2002
- Marathon: 2:48Toronto Waterfront, 2008
Being patient and positive. There will be hills and valleys when starting a new training program. I hope to motivate people starting from all levels to achieve their goals with manageable steps. It is important to look at the ‘big picture’ and plan how to fit running into your life. I encourage open communication, try to avoid injuries, and keep training fun.
Favourite race distance and why?
The 10k is my favourite race distance. It is daunting to stand on the start line of the 10,000m on the track with 25 laps in front of you. The gun would go off and I would try not to let a gap form between myself and the next lady. There were many times when I was going for a PB that I would entertain slowing down and dropping back. My positive thoughts would get me to the finish line. After the 5k mark, I would repeat that I was ‘on my way home’ and will myself to stay with the pack at a fast pace. The sense of accomplishment after finishing every 10k is amazing!
Favourite post-workout treat or go-to place?
My favourite post-workout treat is ice cream. I love to go to DQ for a treat after a big workout!
Favourite running podcast, website, books, videos, or blog?
- The ShakeOut Podcast
- For my post-run exercises, I set my yoga mat, balls, roller, and bands in front of the TV and listen to the Weather Network.